Thursday, November 1, 2007

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is

My mind was racing trying to think of what I could tell her. Finally I suggested we meet for coffee. I discussed the background of the program and the research that supported it. I wanted her to understand that I had never actually tried it out with any learners myself, but that the Calgary Academy had been running it for a year with very good results. She said she would talk to Josh and get back to me. She called back that evening and said that Josh was very interested. I was pleased, but a little apprehensive. I didn't want to fail Josh again. There was alot riding on this, for both of us.
The first clinic was in the summer of 1998. We had 12 students, one of whom was Josh. the ages ranged from 7-15. I took two colleagues to Calgary for more training and these wonderful teachers worked with students through July and August while I supervised. I also did pre and post testing. I was so nervous that whole first week- I knew parents and students were putting so much hope and faith into this experience. I alternated between wondering where I got the gall to think we could make a difference in only 3 weeks, to feeling excited at the prospect that maybe we could.
On the fourth day of the clinic my nerves started to subside, and I started to bubble with excitement. The attitude and demeanor of the children was changing. Without a doubt they were walking in the door taller than they were on the first day. They were obviously feeling good about themselves, and they were starting to "get it". The missing piece for these 12 learners was understanding how our language is put together (and how it comes apart). In the reading clinic we were able to demonstrate this to them in a multisensory and fun way. We also introduced concepts in very small increments. Week two of the July clinic went by and the momentum continued to build. I was particularly interested in Josh's progress, and I watched in awe as he began to read. I wondered if I was imagining it, or exaggerating his progress in my mind, until the day his father came to pick him up. When Josh's dad arrived, Josh was just finishing up some reading. I was at my desk when I noticed his dad peeking around the cubicle, watching Josh. I went up to him and asked if he wanted to go in and sit with Josh. He just shook his head, not taking his eyes off Josh. I looked over and caught the eye of Brenda, his teacher. She was grinning. Josh had his head bent in concentration, his finger moving slowly under the sentence. Then I looked closer. Josh was reading, abeit slowly and haltingly, an article about lions in a National Geographic. His dad was speechless. I still get shivers, now almost 10 years later as I relate this.

No comments: