Saturday, December 8, 2007

Hard Habits to Break

I read an article a few years ago by the Dutch researcher Dirk Bakker- and he classified problem readers as either perceptual or linguistic readers. I have found in my work, these descriptions are perfect.
The linguistic reader tends to read very quickly, and uses appropriate cadence and expression- in fact if you weren't listening to what he was saying you would think him a fluent reader. However, he very soon gets so far off the original text that what he is saying bears little resemblance to what is on the page. Eventually meaning breaks down and he stops, confused. These readers tend to use context and the first letter or two of the word, and are really reading with their ears. They read what they think sounds right.
The perceptual reader, by comparison, reads painfully slowly, sounding out just about everything, including the words we normally memorize as sight words.
I am sure this theory would coincide with the areas of the brain that are both underactive and overcompensating in learners with dyslexia- but I haven't read any literature about this.
In my work I find the linguistic reader the most difficult to remediate. I think two factors work to make this so. First, the learner has worked hard to cover up his reading problem, and to him, reading fast is the goal. He is not going to like being asked to go back to a plodding and slow pace (careful and accurate, to us) after working so hard to sound like everyone else. Also, I think the learner is working from a part of the brain that deals with meaning, not visual clues.
This is just my theory, based on my experience working with these "speedy readers".
I wonder if you have experiences with these type of readers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Although I have never heard them termed as "linguistic" and "perceptual" readers I have had experience with these two type of readers. The linguistic reader is by far more difficult to remediate ESPECIALLY if they are older. After about third grade (in my experience) this reader is so accustomed to their bad habits in reading that they are difficult to remediate. (That's not to say that we don't persevere and subsequently experience success!) This is why I encourage parents strongly to get help early (in 1st or 2nd grade) if their child is struggling. I hear so many parents advocate the "wait and see" philosophy thinking that reading is developmental (something that will develop as the child ages)- which to me is almost like a death sentence to a young reader. The sooner the help comes the more success they will have - and the Matthew Affect (as you have described) will no longer be an issue - or less of an issue- for that student.

Kathy said...

Hi Lynda

I absolutely agree with your statement about "Wait and See" as being a death sentence for success for a struggling reader.

What is the worst thing that could happen if we intervene at age 6? Some children will no doubt get help that may turn out not to be necessary. How we would ever know that is another question.

And if we don't intervene? For some, this means a lifetime of strugging in vain to catch up with peers, and the associated damage to their self-esteem.