Monday, February 18, 2008

Reading instruction over the Internet

Well, I had my first ever reading lesson over the internet today and it was great!
I have some feedback issues to try to fix, but other than that it worked really well.
I sent a box of duplicate materials to my student ahead of time, and her mother sat with her and acted as my hands on the other side of the camera- but for the most part I could do everything I normally do with "in person" students. I was excited to learn that I could even conduct a phonemic awareness test this way!
I am hoping I can deliver this instruction to people in remote places one day- some of our Northern communities have trouble finding services. It was a great day- and I can't wait to do lesson two tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

Congratulations! I am so excited for you and for the student (and parents) who will be receiving your services. Technology is such a great thing!

As I said before I have long wondered how reading tutoring would work over the internet. Please let me know the pros and cons as you go. I would like to give it a try too!

What age did you tutor over the internet? How did you find your student to do this with-through your Self Design website?

You are on the cutting edge! Go Go Go!!!!!

Kathy said...

Thanks Lynda,
I am really stoked about it, I have to admit. I am going to write a longer post about it and I will give you some details that way. To answer your question,though, yes, this is one of my families through SelfDesign. They live in a Northern community where services are hard to come by. I have at least two more needing this kind of work- and if you recall my earlier post where I sounded off because I had so much trouble finding the same sort of service that I provide, in Victoria- doing this over the internet was a last resort.
I am just so happy that I am able to deliver the program well through the internet. I was afraid the family would be getting a less than ideal service, and that there would be large parts that we would find didn't work- but that is not the case.