Tuesday, March 25, 2008

ADHD talk

I spent two hours today at our University talking to student nurses about Learning Disabilities and ADHD. It was really fun. These nurses will have to do public education, and they needed to learn about some of the issues they may encounter in their "classrooms". They asked really good questions... and as always happens when I do these talks, they relate on a personal level. Two came up to talk during the break and relayed some of their painful experiences is public school, and another came up to ask some questions as she thought her husband was dyslexic.
Since my son has ADHD (Inattentive type)and as he has given me permission to talk about him, I am able to relate some personal and real stories about ADHD. The nurses really liked that. I am hoping to do more talks like this in the future. I like public speaking (strange, I know, but I am an actor after all) and I think it's really important for people to get the message that medication for people with ADHD is not a bad thing- in fact the medical community believes that it is an essential part of an effective treatment plan. I have to say from experiences with my son, that I believe this to be true.
I have had so many parents over the years express, "I'm not medicating my child!"... and that makes me sad as I watch their child struggle to hang onto the concepts he's learned. I see many children who's attention span is so fleeting that information just seems to evaporate like ether, as new information comes in. Seeing how my son's situation improved so quickly and so drastically- I wish they would keep an open mind. I do understand the fears- I was there myself, but I do think it's worth a try. It think it's important to remember there are side effects to NOT finding an effective treatment for ADHD- the most notable one is the child's self esteem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

I agree with your post about medicating for ADHD.

I am working with a 1st grader who has been strugglubg all year. (Her mom just hired me last month.) She is bordering on repeating 1st grade because of her low grades, inability to pay attention in class, and inability to retain information. The mom has been against using medication because her older son is on medication for the same problem. When I asked her how he is doing she said medication made all the difference in the world - which kind of perplexed me. If it works for one child why is she against trying it with the other child?

I have been trying to explain to her that not medicating will cost much more in the long run - similar to what you called "side effects" in your post. She may repeat 1st grade and her self-confidence will be affected for years to come.

Just last week the mom finally gave in and got her daughter medication. What a difference it has made already for her in her tutoring sessions!

On another note:
In a previous post you said that you were done with the online tutoring for the 11-year old. Does this mean that you are completely done or just done with another session? If you are completely done then how many sessions did you do total? Will you continue helping her in the future?

Finally, I have been watching the videos you have posted on this site regarding ADHD. Thank you - I have learned a lot.