Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Reading Instruction over the Internet

I wanted to talk in a little more detail about how this is going for my student and I. I sent a box of materials via Canada Post on Wed. of last week, and expected that they would reach their community by Tue. or Wed. of this week. I was delighted and surprised (if you have any experience with Canada Post you know why) when I received an email from the student's mother, L, saying they had the box on Friday! We went over the contents in the box together using Ichat, and then we planned a start time for Monday. In the meantime, I set up our Macbook on a table about six feet from the magnetic white board, and was pleased that the camera picked up the whole space I was going to be working in, and that the lighting was good (right by a sliding glass door). L set her computer up about the same distance from their whiteboard, and set the materials out.
The first day, as I expected, took a little longer than usual to do, because L had to sort through things she was not familiar with, to be able to move with me through each part of the lesson. The shape of the lesson hung together really well though, and the internet connection was good. It worried me that there might be a lag between me making a sound, and the sound actually coming from my mouth- which would be a disaster in a phonemic awareness program! That didn't happen. My student, E, could hear and see me in realtime, and I her. My biggest problem was a ringing feedback from my computer, even with speakers. I tried various things later that night, and came up with a headset and microphone on my end worked really well.
Yesterday, we moved faster as things became more familiar for everyone, and the feedback problem was corrected. E is a very attentive student and I am confident now that she will be able to get the same results as my students "in person" do.
In my clinic, we do lots of work at the whiteboard. I get kids to do a quick sound check, several times in the lesson. I point to various cards with letter/groups that represent phonemes, and the students say the sound, and then I say various phonemes and the students point to their corresponding letters. So, when it came time for E to point to the cards as I said the sound, she then turned and worked from her own whiteboard. Her mother was making sure they had the same phoneme cards and in the same position as mine on their board. I asked her to look at my mouth when I said the sounds, until I was sure that the sound set up was good, and that she could hear what sounds I was making. She continues to look at my mouth when I say some sounds that are hard to distinguish without visual cues: f and the voiceless th, for example.
Yesterday we spent the full 2 hours together (over several hundred kilomoetres!)
I can't wait for today's lesson!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

Again, congratulations! I am happy for you and your accomplishments.

What technology do you use? I am assuming that you are both using a webcam. You both must be hooked up to high speed internet (obviously) but is it DSL, Broadban, Cable or satelite? And does the connection speed and type make a difference in the transmission? What program do you use to transmit the webcam? What about microphone hook ups - how do you do that? I have so many questions.

I am soooooo excited for you and your ability to help more students who can not get help otherwise. Thanks again for your help.

Kathy said...

Hi Lynda

We both have Macintosh computers with built in cameras and we use the Ichat software that is bundled with newer Macs.
We both have high speed internet- I have ADSL, but I don't know what they use. The odd time our faces pixelate- about 2 seconds worth- so it's not that disruptive. I find a headset with a microphone works best for me to talk to my student- I also have to ask her to look at me for some sounds and spelling words- but she has a mild hearing loss in both ears.(and this still works!) I am absolutely loving this work!
Before we started, we did a test run- so why don't you find a friend who will let you practice a bit to see if it will work in your area?

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

Thank you for your more detailed description of how all this coming together. It all sounds so exciting! I have a little better understanding now.

A few more questions if you don't mind....

The ichat you use - would that be the same as Instant Messaging? In Instant Messaging (Yahoo or Microsoft Windows are the two Instant Messaging services that I am familiar with) you can type back and forth to each other but also hook up to a webcam and microphone for a real-time connection. Is that what ichat does?

What is the age of the student you are working with? If the student is younger do you think the mom will always have to be there during the lesson? Is the student dyslexic?

You said you did a longer 2 hour session with her? Was it more difficult to hold the attention of the student over the internet vs in person? Did you take a break during the 2 hour session?

I am not sure what "odd time our faces pixelate - about 2 seconds" means. Does that mean that there is a delay in receiving transmissions of about 2 seconds?

Most amazing to me is that this student is hearing impaired! Wow! You are truly doing an incredible work!

Thanks for all you do! Please post more as you are able. I really look forward to the accomplishments that you are making in the area of reading and tehnology. You deserve a PRIZE!

Anonymous said...

Kathy,

I also posted a coment/question on "Good Help is Hard to Find". When you get a chance....

Happy Tutoring!!!

I love what you do!

Kathy said...

Hi Lynda
Yes- Ichat is like Messenger or Skype but the interface between Macs makes it really easy. If you have two PCs and two cameras, then the other applications should work.

My student hasn't been tested yet, but she will be going through that in the next few months. Having said that I believe she is dyslexic, based on her mother's information, the fact that she has been resistant to regular instruction, and she has weak phonemic awareness. The kinds of errors she makes also make me think so. (b/d reversals, difficulty with short vowel discrimination etc). She is eleven years old, and already, we don't really need her mom with us.
(Mom is with us now because she is learning how to do it, as she is going to do this with her younger son after we are finished) Even younger kids would be able to do this on their own. When it's time to do something different, I just say, "Ok, now we are going to practice some spelling, get your black binder and set up a new page." (We would have done this several times and the routine would be learned)The only things we can't do without mom is the timed reading fluency practice, and this week we left it until the end and they did it after I signed off.
I am surprised at how similar the experience is- so I have had not trouble keeping her attention over two hours. She only took a break one day. The lessons are constructed so that we change activities every 10 minutes or so.
When I said pixelate- I mean the picture broke up into pixels on the screen- and I couldn't see her for a few seconds. The sound was not affected.
Thanks for your encouragement Lynda- I am having such fun with this! It's nice to know someone else gets how exciting this is.